Electrical Fitter/Craftsperson (514825)
Thames Valley Region; Slough, West London, Theale, Reading
Salary: £24,197 - £35,837 (SS04/SS05) depending on skills and experience
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England. Our customers are served by over 4,000 employees based in major offices and depots across the regions we operate in including Reading, Portsmouth, Perth and Inverness. Our mission is to power our community, and we’d like you to join our journey.
As an Electrical Fitter you work on all maintenance aspects of our electricity underground plant up to and including 33kV. This is a field based role with responsibility for maintaining power systems including, switchgear, transformers, busbars, relay panel and other associated equipment. To do this, you will utilise your strong communication skills to manage expectations with regards to arranging shutdowns with large businesses, Regional Councils, highway agencies amongst others stakeholders.
It can be very demanding role and involve working outdoors in all weather conditions, however it offers a great grounding in utilities with many of our existing Senior Managers starting as Electrical Fitters, Training and development will be on offer to get you fully authorised up to 33kV. You may also be required to participate in standby duties for fault restoration work as well as when authorisations have been gained.
As SSEPD is a regulated business, you will hold a pivotal role in ensuring that our network complies with current and future regulatory rules (RIIOED1). We have demanding targets to complete each year and are looking to bring in new talent to our already skilled and motivated workforce to deal with the challenges that the network presents to us.
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- Demonstrable experience of working on the electrical distribution network, ideally dealing with LV and HV plant maintenance.
- Senior Authorised Person (SAP) permit up to 11kV would be advantageous, however not essential as training and development will be provided. Applicants that already have SAP status at 11kV will be considered for the role at SSE Grade 5
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- A full driver’s licence is required, with a towing licence and NRSWA ticket being advantageous
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand; it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Tuesday 2nd January 2018
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.