Real Time Systems Project Design/Delivery Manager (512955)
Location: Reading, Poole or Portsmouth
Who is Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks?
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
What does the Technical Services Team do?
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power. Within this, the Technical Services Team is responsible for the infrastructure and operational computing necessary to allow the SSE Network Management Centres (NMC) to remotely monitor and manage the Electricity Distribution Networks. The Technical Services team has the responsibility for design, installation, testing and commissioning of the systems deployed in substations and other electrical plant locations, as well as the operational communication solutions in support of these systems
I like the sound of that, what about the role itself?
You will play a pivotal role in taking customer requests from the business and work closely with them to turn the requests into solutions and deliverables. From these deliverables you will then play the central role in project managing the deployment. You will also be allocated elements of the Technical Services capital budget to manage and deliver, based on the platforms available. The deliverable element will primarily use processes and procedures already established by the team. Where no such process exists, then you will have the opportunity to develop and produce new processes / procedures working with the rest of the team to turn it into a standard solution. As part of the strategy the post holder will be required from time to time to review the available platforms and if required produce a technical specification for replacement and run Invitation to Tender processes in conjunction with the Contracts and Procurement Department.
That sounds interesting, what do you need from me?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- hold a degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant field, such as Computing or Electronics
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will have demonstrable experience in a similar role, fulfilling duties as outlined above
- Familiarity with some or all of the following technology would be advantageous; Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), UHF Scanning Radio (planning and deployment), TCP/IP, UDP, DSL, ADSL, TSAT, BGAN, APNs & VPNs, GSM + UMTS + LTE networks, PAKNET, VRRP, Point to Point Radio, IP MESH RADIO, DNP3 + IEC61850 & EWISP+ Protocols, Fibre Optic Networking + Copper Cable Networks, PCs and Control Systems (SCADA), HMIs, BT21CN, Teleprotection, and IEDs
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
Great. What's in it for me?
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
Salary: Up to £55,669 depending on skills and experience + car allowance
I like the sound of that. Where do I apply?
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 2nd April 2017
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.