Policy Analyst (512779)
Location: Perth or Portsmouth
Salary: £33,520 - £44,269 (SS07) depending on skills and experience
Who is Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks?
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
What does Commercial and Connections do?
The Commercial and Connections team are situated across the country in locations such as Perth, Inverness, Reading and Portsmouth. We are the first point of contact for customers wishing to have a new electricity connection, increase the size of their existing connection, install generation, or move the equipment supplying their property. We're here to help whether our customers are building a single home, housing development, industrial development, generation development or independent distribution network. Our responsibility is to respond to ongoing changes in our licence obligations and wider industry changes and to play a key role in progression to a low carbon future.
I like the sound of that, what about the role itself?
Your role will be responsible for ensuring commercial and connections policies and procedures are in line with all current licence conditions and statutory obligations. Your responsibilities are wide spanning, and will include identifying and implementing appropriate actions to maintain and improve compliance within the fast paced commercial and connections environment.
Working with the colleagues both within the Commercial and Connections department, the wider Distribution business and colleagues in Regulation and Legal, you will consider any amendments required to existing policies and procedures, including considering the impact of any wider industry policy changes.
As well as agreeing policy position on commercial and connections matters, the role will involve driving forward changes to policies and ensuring that these are fully implemented within the business. You will also be required to represent SSEN at industry events and various Ofgem, DECC and Government working groups to ensure that SSEN policy position is communicated and understood.
That sounds interesting, what do you need from me?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- hold a qualification in a relevant subject, ideally to degree level but this is not essential
- previous experience in an engineering role, or exposure to the technicalities that will be involved in this role
- sound knowledge of commercial and regulatory processes
- previous experience in, or good knowledge of electricity networks
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
Great. What's in it for me?
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
I like the sound of that. Where do I apply?
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 2nd April 2017.
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.