Transmission Planning & Investment Engineer x 2 (512324)
Salary: £30,500 - £55,000 depending on skills and experience + bonus
Who is Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks?
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
What does Transmission do?
We are part of Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, operating under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission plc for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain. We take the electricity generated from various sources, and transport it to areas of demand around our towns and cities.
I like the sound of that, what about the role itself?
Working closely with customers and different departments within the transmission business, you will carry out a range of technical and economic studies to identify compliant, coordinated and cost effective solutions to allow new generation or demand connections to connect to the transmission network. You will also hold responsibility for undertaking similar power systems analysis and economic evaluation to non load asset replacement schemes.
In addition there will be opportunities to contribute to the wider planning, design and development of the future transmission network.
That sounds interesting, what do you need from me?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- knowledge of power system modelling of electrical plant and interpretation of the results from simulation software, as well as investment appraisal techniques and data management are of particular interest
- proven background and experience in electrical power system planning; power system economics knowledge or project management experience is also advantageous
- technical report writing skills, a clear ability to structure arguments and generate reasoned justifications are important
- educated to Degree level in a relevant discipline
- sound knowledge of, and experience in the energy sector
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
Great. What's in it for me?
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
I like the sound of that. Where do I apply?
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Monday 10th April 2017.
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.