Field Unit Protection Engineer (512319)
Location: Aberdeen or Dundee
Salary: £37,588 - £49,645 (SS08) depending on skills and experience + car
Who is Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks?
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks forms part of the FTSE-50 energy company, SSE. Our electricity distribution and transmission networks carry electricity to over 3.7 million homes and businesses across Scotland and Central Southern England. Our skilled teams are based right across the regions we serve, from the bustle of West London to the smallest villages in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
What does Transmission do?
We are part of Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, operating under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission plc for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain. We take the electricity generated from various sources, and transport it to areas of demand around our towns and cities
I like the sound of that, what about the role itself?
As a Field Unit Protection Engineer, you will join a team of highly skilled colleagues to help deliver our capital delivery programme on our transmission and distribution networks. This is a pivotal role within the business, ensuring we build and maintain the highest standard of network for our customers.
You can expect to get involved in all aspects of field protection work, including; commissioning, maintenance, outage management, contractor liaison and budget adherence. Due to the 24/7 nature of our networks, you may be required to work away from your base location on occasion, and assist in a variety of ad hoc activities.
That sounds interesting, what do you need from me?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- a qualification in a relevant subject to min. HNC level is preferred
- existing SAP or High Voltage Switching authorisations up to 400kV are highly advantageous, however this is not essential; you may also be working towards this
- previous experience and technical knowledge of power systems protection, including installation and commissioning of high voltage plant and apparatus, up to 400kV is essential
- sound understanding of reading and interpreting protection single line, schematic and block diagrams is key
- experience of carrying out testing and fault-finding on secondary wiring and auxiliary equipment, including the application of logic and settings files on integrated electronic protection devices is required
- full UK driving licence
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- familiar with construction health and safety requirements, you will have a high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
Great. What's in it for me?
For us it's not just about being good at what you do - it's about enjoying what you do, too. So we'll encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas, and do work that you can be proud of. In return for being your best for our customers, you'll also enjoy a variety of benefits and development opportunities. On top of a competitive salary, you'll enjoy generous holiday entitlement, a Group Pension Plan, share options and discounts on energy bills, phone and broadband.
I like the sound of that. Where do I apply?
Click the Apply button to submit your application, with a CV to hand, it takes no more than 10 minutes.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 2nd April 2017.
As a courtesy, internal candidates should please notify their line manager prior to submitting their application.